Friday, July 15, 2011

Remembering With a Smile

Today was a beautiful day.  This morning after waking up, I took my dog Reno out for a quick bathroom break and ended up spending fifteen minutes out there with him just enjoying the morning.  Deep blue skies with a few streaks of white cloud.  The temperature was perfect, the sun felt warm and inviting.  We watched a squirrel go about collecting his breakfast and listened to the birds.  Reno was disappointed I didn't let him devour the little rodent but quickly forgave me when I broke out the tennis balls.  Taking some time to enjoy such a perfect morning is something I have learned to love in recent months. 

After work today I hopped on my Trek and started my bike ride home.  I was a little irritated when I was leaving because I had misplaced my headphones somehow on my way out the door.  I have gotten used to listening to music when I ride and was at first upset that I would not have any tunes to keep my company on my trip.  It turned out to be a nice change of pace.  It is a different experience to be completely aware of your surroundings as you bike, all the sights and sounds as you pedal along.  The afternoon was just as wonderful as the morning had been.  A little over halfway home I crested a hill and slowed my pace to enjoy the view.  This was just outside Nazareth and I was looking across the fields and trees across the Valley towards Bethlehem.  I was in a good mood and felt at peace with the world around me, I could feel a sense of joy fill me.  In this moment I was reminded of a co-worker and friend of mine who recently passed away. 

Ed Juris will be missed by many.  He was a very kind man and one of the most decent human beings I have ever come across.  I spent many of my breaks with Ed in his little office in the back of the club, talking and laughing, making fun of some of the ridiculous items that members would return.  I can remember grills that were "never used" with grime caked all over the inside or mattresses returned with urine stains.  He was a charter member of the "lunch club" as I called it.  You could just about set your watch by the 12 oclock lunch break that the crew would gather for.... a table full of gossip, reality tv talk and friendly banter.  I was never a fan of Dancing with the Stars but I would try and at least know a couple people that were on each season so I could join in the conversation!  All the ladies.... and Ed.  It was always a great time, and I used to look forward to shifts where my lunch would allow me to be a part of it.  He was loved by all who knew him.  As sad as it is that he is gone, I remember these good times, Ed's laugh and quick wit and I smile in spite of myself. 

Ed may have lost his battle, but he will live on in our memories forever.  Keep smiling Ed, and may you rest in peace my friend. 

1 comment:

  1. That was lovely - make sure you share it with (work) mom - you have a good heart son - keep it healthy and strong

    ReplyDelete